…and the cats that represent these truths.
1. If it is going to rain, I will invariably get caught in it. It will also be cold and windy and I will have some borrowed piece of expensive and delicate equipment in my saggy canvas backpack.
2. My mother will always mail me the briefest of notes, but always on the best stationary and also I love her.
3. Even though my recent life has become laughably tame (i.e. spending evenings wearing Jake’s sweatpants, baking bread, and making extraneous sauces and side dishes while listening to public radio by candlelight), I will still occasionally enjoy the unexpected evening of brightly-colored table umbrellas, lots of beer in plastic cups, foggy breath, a dance party where the DJ with a pink afro is writhing against the wall in her DJ booth with her back to us while all of us are on the floor below are squashed together, dancing in a style I can only describe as “hilarious”, and we are smiling so hard our faces hurt and we are getting sandwiches from bodegas in the middle of the night, all bundled up because it’s the first cold day of fall and somewhere along the way, I see a cat.
4. Much to Jake Weller’s chagrin, I will always be attracted to objects such as these.
5. If I don’t like where I am living due to the shadiness of all aspects of the rental and also the perpetual smell of fried chicken (which I used to like, before I stopped eating meat, to be fair), I will move to a place that features cat-related street art just half a block from my front door.
It is the morning and everyone is still sleeping expect for me. My sole companion is this steaming cup of coffee I’ve brewed and subsequently poured into this meaningful mug I retrieved from the other end of the world. I am looking out across the skylines and rooftops of the city around me, and I know that somewhere below, on the sidewalks and on the streets, a new day is beginning and, to borrow a phrase from a trusted friend, it’s spilling “a crisp, buttery yellow” into every window for as far as I can see.
Good morning, butter biscuit.